OBJECTIVE: to catalog/record all Marshall farms since 1800.
PROCEDURES AND SCOPE: to gather information about farms
- owners through the years.
- number of acres tillable, wooded, etc.
- crops harvested-number of acres in each by year
- variety and number of animals
- number of family farm workers and hired hands (if any)
- collect old photos of houses, barns, out buildings (silos, chicken
coops, hop kiln, ice house, milk house, corn crib, windmill) Pictures of
workers in the fields or barns.
- current pictures of farm buildings
- sketch of buildings and road, etc.
- A survey form to collect farm data to include:
- 911 street address
- age and measurements of buildings, houses etc.
- architecture style: gambrel roof etc.
- building materials; clapboard, board and batten, etc.
- embellishments: cupolas, trim
- water supply source: spring, well
- Organize project by streets and roads in Town of Marshall
- Volunteers for each road, part of a road, or individual farms
OUTCOME-end product: a booklet of barns and farms in Marshall which would include some farm history, farm statistics, pictures, farm descriptions of individual farms, etc. A history of farms and barns and farming in Marshall Township.